Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Aural Sensitivity Training: July 18, 2011

Who needs more training? You do! So start scrubbing the musical poop-deck ya wanker! (Or whatever that insult is supposed to be.)


Alanis Morissette, "Crazy"

With as crazy as I am about Alanis (yes I said it), I'm surprised it took me this long to get her into the curriculum. "Crazy" is the previously-unheard single that rose from her 2005 greatest hits disc, The Collection. It's a tremendous cover of the classic Seal hit. Pick it up as a single if you already have her other albums.



Apocalyptica, 7th Symphony

If you've never heard of them, Apocalytica is a trio of classically trained cellists from Finland... that play metal.  Cameos from Gavin Rossdale (Bush) and Lacey Mosley (Flyleaf) helped put this album at the top of my playlist.



Imogen Heap, "Tidal"

Ellipse is such a solid album with several stand-out tracks, but "Tidal" might just be my favorite. Heap has a distinct vocal quality that effortlessly floats above her light-pop background. Try to not like it. I dare you.


The Naked And Famous, "Punching In A Dream"

These New Zealanders are stomping onto the indie pop scene. Their third single off Passive Me, Aggressive You is still getting decent airplay, and rightfully so. 


Arcade Fire, "We Used To Wait"

Hey... have you heard of this band? They're kinda popular... and kinda good. The vocal mix is excellent and the instrumentals are full and rich. But stop listening to me... just listen to the song.

Be back next week for another edition of AST!

No comments:

Post a Comment