Monday, August 15, 2011

Aural Sensitivity Training: Lollapalooza Edition

So it might be a week behind, but I wanted to let you in on some of the best acts I saw in my day and 1/2 or so at Lolla. It was a bit of a last-minute trip, so I didn't get to see as many bands as I might have liked, but it was worth it nonetheless.

Oh I'm sorry, did you actually want to see the band?
My Morning Jacket

One of my favorite concerts of the weekend, MMJ was on top of their game. If you've never seen them live before, it's an experience. Their pure, classic rock and roll makes for one helluva show.


Damian Marley and Nas

So effing good. A mix of reggae and rap, this show was off the charts. This duo got the crowd jumping and never let up. Coming from someone who isn't a major fan of either genre, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.


Foo Fighters

I didn't get a chance to catch their entire two-hour set (needed a shower after all the rain and tons o' mud), but the Foo brought their best to Chicago.


Mmm... dancers.
Beats Antique

This group out of California has one of the best stage shows I've seen. David Satori and Tommy Cappel take turns at a variety of intrsuments (percussion, violin,) while another duo supported with a saxophone and clarinet in a fusion of European rock and gypsy/Middle Eastern music. Add in the sexy and talented Zoe Jakes as the frontwoman for their own group of dancers and you've got an entirely original show. Check them out.


Cage The Elephant

A wicked downpour could not drench the spirits of the rowdy fans for this equally rowdy Kentucky band. When "Ain't Not Rest For the Wicked" started, there was a raucous reaction. While they're not the greatest or most original hard rockers, they certainly entertaining.

What were your favorite acts at Lolla? Start the discussion below!

No comments:

Post a Comment